Have you heard of the gig economy? Maybe you hate your job, or you are just looking for some side income. You can create your own freelance business and start making money from home. You might have some freelance business ideas but you aren’t sure how to be a freelancer. There are a bunch of things you could do, from offering freelance services to copywriting, to blogging. No matter what you choose, there are some steps you should follow before starting your own business.
- Sketch out your ideal business. What is it that you really love to do, maybe even at your current job? Who will your clients be? How will you help them?
- Think about the skills you possess. Are you a writer? A designer? Are you fluent in social media? There are endless possibilities here. Also, consider the skill you don’t have and if you want to learn them or outsource.
- Write a business plan. Set goals and determine your mission. You need to have a plan for what you are setting out to do. You will want to review and tweak it as you go.
- Network with other freelancers. Find out what other people in your niche are doing. Do they love it? Are they seeing income/clients? You may want to offer to pay to talk to them for an hour Skype session.
- Start as a side hustle. You may wish to start working with clients or writing while still employed. It can take awhile for a business to grow. You want to be able to replace your current income and beyond. You will be working a lot of hours but have security.
- Make sure you haven’t broken any non-compete contract with your current job. You need to research this before doing your own thing. You don’t want to get into any kind of trouble. You may want to talk to a lawyer.
Once you complete these steps you’ll be well on your way to starting a freelance business. Freelancing work gives you a great sense of freedom that you won’t find with traditional employment. There is no income cap and you can earn as much as you want. It is ideal for many people and possibly for you as well. With some upfront research, you can launch your freelance business the correct way from the start. Once you get going you may find that you enjoy the freelance work more than traditional employment. There is gratification that can only come from being your own boss.